Reduced-Fat, Reduced-Sugar, Chocolate Zucchini Cake
yields enough for 30-32 cupcakes, one 9x13, or two 9" cakes
original recipe found here
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (gives it a nice homely taste, but you may omit)
3/4 cup canola oil (I use canola just because it's one of the healthies oils, but veggie is also fine)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (sweetened is fine, but just more sugar)
3 cups grated zucchini
handful of chocolate chips if you think it's too "reduced" haha
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.
- Make a small package of instant vanilla pudding (be even healthier and use fat free milk and sugar free instant pudding! I just used regular instant pudding and 1% milk) and pour into a bag that can have a decorating tip (ziplock with corner cut of can work ok, but a tip makes this easier)
- Once cupcakes have cooled enough (to not instantly liquify the pudding), cut an X into the center with a thin sharp knife.
- Stick the pudding tip into the center and squeeze until the cupcake bulges slighlty
- Cover up the top with your choice of frosting. A strong cream cheese frosting is my favorite (two 8 oz cream cheeses, 1/4 c. butter, 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 2 t. vanilla, whipped together until well blended and somewhat light)
|so very moist, ever so sweet, and extremely pleasing to the taste buds. try it. yum.|
do you see what's gross about this picture? I didn't notice until after I ate this treat...
yields 12 hamburger buns or 16 hot dog buns
no changes made to the original recipe found here
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120 degrees F (50 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover, and let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
- For Hot Dog Buns (16 buns for standard size hot dogs): Shape each piece into a 6x4 inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, and pinch edges and ends to seal. Let rise about 20 to 25 minutes. Bake as above.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
no tasty and tantalizing picture here...
well, enjoy the recipes, I will do a first birthday party post soon, as it was a success and so much fun! Here is a preview of the great day: