Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's Good To Be a Mom

In the last two days, there have been two articles floating around facebook and I could not resist helping them float.

The first article was funny. I'll admit that the author's use of "Carpe Diem" is a little off- I mean, really? Don't Seize the Day? But I really loved the general message and that she was willing to be blatantly honest (something I've always been and dinged for haha :) and admit that motherhood is a challenge and it is completely normal to be frustrated some days. Sometimes we need 10 minutes to recompose ourselves, other times it's a date night. It was a breath of fresh air, and one I thoroughly enjoyed. I think it tickled me more because I used to always have all these people who would tell me to not cook, clean, wash dishes, etc and just hold Ezra all. day. long. Riiiiiiiight. On many occasions, I choose playing over chores, but isn't a clean house and cooking a decent dinner for the whole family refreshing?

The second article was just plain sweet. I thought it was just an extra sweet version of the first article and so kind to new moms. She says it plain and clear- being a mom (or parent really) is hard work, especially for the first child. Being a new mom is a whole new reality that you can never imagine and it is so normal to be tired, confused, and even frustrated with the unknown and new. It helps me to appreciate even more all the stages of life I will encounter in the near future.

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, former member of the quorum of 12 shared a general conference address that I think hits home with everyone. The title, Come What May, and Love It. The title says it all and is something Carl and I have adopted into our family. Sometimes things just happen and you can be mad about them or you can just choose to let it go, maybe even roll your eyes, laugh, and move on. It's good to remember that saying. We don't have cherish every single moment that ever was, but just take them for what they are, learn from them, and love the growth that comes from the outcome.


Being a parent has been a blessing and another trial that has brought Carl and I even closer :)


Have a fantastic day, everyone :) I started my day off preparing for my Sunday School lesson and drinking hot chocolate. I think water should have followed breakfast because I've been feeling mighty dry. Carl and I plan to have a nice relaxing day with Ezra and babe #2 (who seems very dissatisfied with the cramped quarters of the uterus hotel).

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you mentioned these articles. They were refreshing to read! Isn't motherhood great? Bring on the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha so true! Katy, I really want to comment on your blog but either your blog or my computer/Internet hates you because it won't let me EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete