Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bucket List Series: #5


1. I want to have short, hot pink hair

2. I want to have a real deal white girl's african weave/braids


3. I want to speak Spanish fluently as a family


4. I want to live in an Airstream trailer

5. I want my family to live abroad.

By now, you've probably guessed that I have been bitten by quite the adventure bug (believe me, I have more goals for my hair...). Traveling is something that I have always wanted to do more of. It took a few years for me to realize after getting married and having a family that I would not be doing any major traveling for several years. It's just not the right time for us any more between school and gaining career experience. Some of you may scoff at me and say are you serious?? How many states have you lived in the past 5 years?? I know, I know, many. BUT in the past year or two, I have come across many families in the blogging world who have done exactly what I dream of: living in another country.

Ideally, I would love to live in Europe, such as Spain, for at least year. In that time, I would love for my family to gain experiences in different cultures and to tour surrounding countries. I love Joanna Goddard's Motherhood Around the World series from her blog A Cup of Jo. Here are my favorites:

11 surprising things about parenting in Northern Ireland

12 surprising things about parenting in Abu Dhabi

And some other inspirations:

Jordan from Oh Happy Day lived in Paris with her husband and two young children for a year

Gabrielle (one of my fave bloggers) from Design Mom lived in the countryside of France with her husband and family of SIX for 2+ years! Bonus: she's sisters with Jordan from the link above.


I think I could settle for yearly trips somewhere for several months at a time if that were an option- we really like the idea of doing medical service missions (providing primary care/immunizations to 3rd world countries), but at least once in this lifetime, I want to live somewhere with Carl and my children that is not part of North America for at least a year. What are some options we've considered to make this happen? Here are our top few:

- be amazing and come up with an sustainable online business that would provide the monthly income we need while not having to work in an office or in that country (unlikely at this time since i have no idea what this business would be. darn.)

- taking a year sabbatical leave after working for 10 years. But what other costs and investments will accrue at that time? Many. Still a possibility.

- pray that PAs will have more of an international role in the next 10 years. Nurses do I suppose, but the jobs are in high demand and there are many international laws that I would have to navigate through to be approved. This is why I like medical missions- all I need is an active license anywhere!

- join the military. I am actually serious about this one and it is an option that Carl and I have pondered and considered very much over the years. I promise to expound on this another day, but I will add that travel is truly one of the last reasons why Carl would join the military (Air Force as a #1 choice). My man has a bucket list of his own and I might just share this one as one of my goals :)


The hardest part of this bucket list item is that it tugs on my heart strings quite often. I feel joy and excitement as much as I feel conflict and concern. For a majority of my marriage and life with children, we have been away from family. School, work, school, life. We are comfortable in our circumstances and okay with the distance, but in these stages, I have almost always felt a bit temporary- as if we are always trying to head back west to our homes eventually. I love my families very much and it pains me to consider living so far away, not creating a situation where my children would be able to foster close relationships with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Nonetheless, I always have this special feeling that we will be happy no matter what we choose.


I promise you can visit and stay with us for free when we live somewhere in the world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment