Monday, January 25, 2021

38 weeks with #5

38 weeks in a few days this week! Being my 5th rodeo, I feel a little more prepared but at the same time, just like a new mom. It’s amazing what we forget between pregnancies! Like how I naively forgo how painful my hips and low back would be by the 3rd trimester... is this time the worst pain or is it all in my head?


As tradition calls, I’d like to share some things I have or haven’t experienced this pregnancy. 


  1. No morning sickness! I had just a few days of nausea or low appetite but I was otherwise ok! This was a shocker as I was so sick the past two pregnancies. 
  2. I had a very healthy start because of this! I jogged the first half of the pregnancy 3 times a week because I felt so great. Then Oregon caught on fire and I couldn’t jog outside anymore due to smoke inhalation, so that quickly turned into a distant memory. 
  3. Cravings... it’s hard to remember specifics but I definitely have indulged in a lot more sweet treats than typical- ice cream, candy, sweets of all kind. I lack self control as a craving. I gained like 15 pounds immediately after I stopped running! 
  4. Swelling. Week 35 I started getting very swollen feet at the end of the day and now this week, both legs from thigh down are +1 pitting edema, maybe +2. For those unfamiliar with this medical term, you squish my shin bone and a finger imprint is left behind. 
  5. Complications. I can’t say it’s been horrible, because my complications have been resolvable overall. Scary at times, but OKAY. First, at week 20 baby had “choroid plexus cysts” which sent us to a specialist for more ultrasounds and monitoring. Concern was a marker for Edwards Syndrome. Those cysts resolved by week 32. But at week 32, I was measuring huge and diagnosed with polyhydramnios, which is excessive amniotic fluid. So the baby is in a swimming pool and also happened to be measuring around 5 lbs at 32 weeks. My A1C was in a good range though, so diabetes was ruled out. Baby’s growth has mellowed out some and is estimated in the high 7 lb range and while I still have extra fluid, polyhydramnios is borderline. The 3rd ugly diagnosis is pubic diastastis. Separation of the pubic bone. Comes and goes depending on the week. I’ve had many good days despite the miserable bad ones!
  6. Regardless of diagnoses, I am huge for being just under 4’11”. I was huge for my last two pregnancies too. I think I’ve gained about 45 lbs at this point. I long for the days of hopping out of bed or off the couch to grab something. Quickly. Quickly does not exist in my day anymore. I’ve had a few incidences (including while I type this out) that have made me bed bound for a day because I can’t bear weight on my legs/pelvis. I saw a free walker and almost had Carl get it for me. We improvised with a bar stool, but still- I feel like I can write a chart note about myself. “32 yo female, gravida 5, para 4. Increased pain in bilateral lower extremities noted, decreased mobility r/t pain.  Reports ‘shooting pains and pinching’ upon ambulation. Difficulty sitting or standing for longer than 15 minutes, does report relief in side lying position, however requires assistance in position changes.”
  7. Baby girl is ACTIVE! I think she is my most active yet. Not sure if it’s because I’m huge or because my muscle walls/abdomen are paper thin, but I can see it every movement and she is constantly moving, day and night. 
  8. I am far less anxious than I was last pregnancy. Medication makes the difference. 
  9. I am opting to not complete my Hypnobabies course this time, but I plan to apply many of the techniques. I’ve said it before, but birth is not what scares me. Breastfeeding and postpartum does...
  10. I’ve breastfed 4 babies now for 1+ year each. It ******** hurts each time for the first 2 months. There, I said it. I’m hoping for miracle this time for pain free nursing and NO mastitis. 
  11. A baby registry shower! I was going to forgo a baby shower and just eat the cost of buying new baby items. I had gotten rid of a LOT of stuff after I thought Betty was our last (ha ha ha...) but my friend, DeLisa, convinced me to let her host one, which I am so grateful for! I’ve always loved hosting baby showers and using friend’s baby registries to get things on their list, so it was fun to utilize my Amazon registry for an actual baby shower instead of a wishlist of sorts and discount coupon. I felt SO spoiled by the generosity of friends and family!
  12. Far fewer pictures. Is it because this is #5? Or is it because I’m too darn busy with online school? Ha. I think it’s a combination of both. I am so grateful that elementary kids returned to in person school today because I need to rest more than ever these days between the swelling and pelvic/hip pain. I did do something that should be picture worthy though- eyelash extensions! Didn’t think I’d ever say that, but eyelash extensions have been one of the best “self care” things I’ve ever done. I feel like crap, but I wake up and have glorious lashes haha! Bring on post birth pictures because my lashes are gonna be glam. 
Anyway, 12 seems like a solid number. I told this baby to stay in until I finish my last work day tomorrow haha. I only work once a week and there are things to wrap up before I go! I think she’s listening. Much thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers on our behalf. We feel the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.