Sunday, April 1, 2012

Vivienne Chan Leder

We are so very proud to announce the birth of our first daughter, Vivienne Chan Leder! She was born on Monday March 26 at 7:08pm central time.

She weighed in at 6lbs and 11oz, which is 1 ounce more than Ezra weighed when he was born, we think her due date may have been wrong. She measured in at a whopping 19 inches, okay okay... its a pretty normal length but everything about her is special for us!
  She is perfectly healthy and has a good appetite, waking mom and dad up about every 2 hours each night. At just 3 days old we are starting to feel the effects of the sleep deprivation, we've been so spoiled with Ezra at 20 months old sleeping about 11 hours each night and a 2 hour nap during the day. So here we are again with the night and day shift. Truth be told it is quite a bit harder for Mommy than myself, but I think Tracey would say I do good job at retrieving Vivienne when she wakes up crying!
  I have also earned the title of HypnoGuardian after this birth! Stay tuned for more details about a self hypnosis program called hypnobabies that Tracey used to help keep herself relaxed during the labor and delivery, or should I say during the "Birthing Time".

My part during the "birthing time" was to recite cues to Tracey that helped her to relax even more and I helped to to maintain her hypnotic state where each contraction was seen as merely pressure waves and stretching. The program worked great for Tracey and I admit I was skeptical at first but am now a believer!
  It was extremely rewarding for me to be so involved in the birth. I coached Tracey all the way through and helped to keep everyone following our birth plan. During the first hour of labor we actually sat in a big tub and used the warm water to help keep Tracey relaxed. While she basically floated along I held on to her and kept her head above water and poured war m water on her shoulders to keep her warm. As things progressed we moved her back to the hospital bed. After a very quick 3.5 hours little Vivienne was entering the light. Tracey's Doctor was very cool and after Vivienne's neck was free of her umbilical cord I was able to finish delivering her or "catch her"!

I then had to check 3 or 4 times to make sure she was a girl before I told Tracey what the gender of our new baby was! It's not that it wasn't obvious on first glance since a "little something" clearly wasn't present, but I was surprised and wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken! All in all it was a fantastic experience that I look forward to repeating several more times!
   ~This edition of whats happenin' wit da Leders is brought to you by Carl!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! I love you family picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Carl and congrats to you all!! And I look forward to reading more about your birthing experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am glad everything went so well and fast! And I, too, love that family photo. Ezra's face cracks me up. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! She is adorable. I love the picture of you two working together through the birthing process. It is a priceless picture.

    ReplyDelete